This new Civic Type R was developed to make the driver feel at one with the car for the ultimate driving experience in all driving conditions, even for track use. Equipped with a specially tuned 2.0-liter normally aspirated engine matched to a 6-speed manual transmission, it promises an engaging drive. A lighter, more rigid body shell, specially tuned suspension, 18-inch tyres and large 17-inch front disc brakes contribute to the Civic Type R’s ability ensures this. Newly developed aerodynamic devices further enhance high-speed performance while giving the wide and low form a more aggressive look. Front bucket seats, a unique instrument panel and other performance accessories contribute to a high performance experience.Type R models are specially tuned to take full advantage of the potential of the base model and provide a racing car-like driving feel. First offered on the NSX in 1992, the Type R range was extended to the Integra in 1995, and the Civic in 1997. This latest all-new Civic Type R is the distillation of 15 years of technological progress and the latest expression of Honda’s “Challenging Spirit.”
The exterior employs a pure sports one-motion form design with aerodynamically advanced surface treatment and sharp edges. Newly developed aerodynamic devices include a large air intake in the front bumper and grille, a rear bumper with built-in rear diffuser, a high-mount rear spoiler, and extended side sill garnishes, giving the car an aggressive overall appearance.
The overall black colour scheme gives the interior cockpit a racing car-like appearance, bringing the driver closer at one with the car. The front bucket seats are specially designed for Type R. Separate centre plus side construction with high side bolsters and optimized cushion rates help hold the body in place, helping the driver concentrate on driving.
The multiplex i-VTEC engine revolution indicator alerts the driver that engine speed is approaching maximum allowed revolutions. Self-illuminated, lit with red-colored flashing lights and is strategically located for minimum eye movement in circuit and other high speed driving conditions.
Other performance-oriented features include a small-diameter, genuine leather oval steering wheel, an aluminum ball-type shift knob, a short stroke sports shift linkage, metal sports-type pedals and footrest, and a separate, button-type engine starter.
A higher compression ratio and improved breathing efficiency help the naturally-aspirated K20A 2.0L i-VTEC engine output a maximum of 225PS @ 8,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 215Nm @ 6,100 rpm. NSX production methods contribute to smoother port surfacing, improving intake/exhaust airflow. Drive-By-Wire (DBW) provides for finer tuning of throttle response and power output.
Optimum tuning of intake and exhaust manifolds provides for high output at high engine speed while also improving torque characteristics over a broad engine speed range.
• A close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission is matched to the Type R engine.
• Optimized gear ratios offer superior accelerations at high speeds, providing exhilarating performance.
• New features include a highly rigid aluminum transmission case while the addition of a baffle plate helps mitigate oil starvation at high cornering speeds.
• A short stroke shift linkage contributes to a sporty shifting feel.
• The highly rigid Civic body and its advanced layout serves as the basis for an even more highly rigid, yet lightweight Type R body. Measures to enhance body rigidity while reducing weight have translated into a body that is 50% more rigid than in the Integra Type R of model year 2001 to 2006.
• Specially tuned suspension, high performance 18-inch tyres, a torque-sensitive helical limited slip differential, large disc brakes for improved fade resistance and other performance-enhancing features contribute to higher cornering performance and stability.
• The specially tuned suspension boasts revised spring and damping rates, and thicker stabilizer bars for improved vehicle stability.
• 225/40R18-sized high-performance Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres.
• Brembo 17-inch disc brake with 4-pot aluminium front calipers.
• Specially-tuned ABS/EBD system.
• Special lightweight 18-inch aluminium wheels are matched to black wheel nuts.